Aston Martin F1 team confirms 2022 driver roster
LONDON – Quadruple world champion Sebastian Vettel and Canadian Lance Stroll, son of the owner, will race for Aston Martin next season in an unchanged roster, the Formula One team announced on Thursday.
Vettel, who won his titles with Red Bull between 2010-13, joined Ferrari late last year. Executive Chairman Lawrence Stroll had assured reporters this week that the German was set to stay after media speculation he could not.
Stroll senior also said he sees 22-year-old Lance as a potential champion.
The Mercedes-powered team is building a new factory at Silverstone and hiring staff with the goal of positioning themselves as title contenders within three to five years.
Stroll will enter his sixth season in Formula 1 next year after making his debut with former champions Williams in 2017.
Lawrence Stroll said the training mixed youth and experience while team manager Otmar Szafnauer hailed Lance as “one of the most talented drivers in modern Formula 1” and Vettel as “a huge asset” .
“Next year we expect the two to compete well in what will be a very different formula than the current one,” Szafnauer added.
Formula 1 faces a major upheaval in 2022, with new aero rules aimed at making racing more competitive.
Aston Martin, the renowned Racing Point team that was previously Force India and started as Jordan in 1991, are currently seventh out of 10 in the constructors’ standings.
They were fourth last year, although they had 15 points that would have placed them ahead of McLaren, but they have been less competitive this year due to regulatory changes over the winter.
Vettel, disqualified from second place in Hungary in August for not having enough fuel in his car, scored 35 points in 14 races and Stroll 24 although the Canadian had more of the top 10.
“I am really looking forward to driving the new generation of Formula 1 cars. They look very different and the new technical regulations should give us cars that can run much closer than recently,” said Vettel.