Gabriel Mini sets fastest time on day one of Formula 3 post-season testing at Jerez

The first day of FIA Formula 3 post-season testing began with thirty cars on track, including sixteen drivers, new to F3 machines.

At opening time, Italian driver Gabriel Mini went ahead in times 1:31.217, followed Sebastien Montoya, fresh off impressive in the last two races of the Formula 3 season with Campos Racing.

Josep Maria Marti was the first driver to venture below the 1.31 mark with a time of 1:30.957. However, Mini reclaimed top spot from the Spaniard later in the session clocking a 1:30.499 with just over an hour remaining in the morning session.

Red flags quickly followed as Frederick Kaylen found the gravel at turn six.

Mini capped off a hectic morning session by colliding with the barriers at turn ten to bring out the second red flag of the session.

The final red flag of the session came after Sebastian Montoya saw his Hitech car hit the wall at the same corner as Mini before him.

The afternoon session began with Olivier Goethe go fastest for Trident, setting a 1:31.749. His teammate Gabriel Bortoletto moved into second place quickly, scoring a 1-2 Trident in the first half hour, before the first red flag of the afternoon session was waved.

Credit: Formula Motorsport Limited

Roborto Faria found his Van Amersfoort Racing car in the gravel between turns eight and nine, forcing the cars into the pits.

As the afternoon session reached the halfway mark, Goethe led, followed by Bortoleto and Josep Maria Marti.

The fourth red flag of the day came out quite early, for an incident involving Emerson Fittipaldi at turn ten, but the incident was quickly ruled out and the session resumed one hour and twenty minutes from the end.

Zak O’Sulliavandriving the PREMA car, was next in the lead in times with a 1:31.669, before another red flag was thrown as Hunter Yeany found his car Carlin in the gravel, again at turn ten.

O’Sullivan’s PREMA teammate Dino Beganovic climbed to the top of the times after the restart, until Kaylen Frederick usurped the Swede to take the lead with a 1:31.275, which would keep him in the lead at the end of the session.

With about five minutes remaining in the afternoon session, another incident at turn ten, this time by Alessandro Famularo, drew the last red flag of the day, as the session did not resume and the checkered flag was waved.

This meant that the afternoon session ended with Kaylen Fredrich leading the times for ART GP followed by Dino Beganovic and Gregoire Saucywhile Raphael Villagomez and Gabriel Bortoleto complete the top five in Jerez.

Comments are closed.