Horse racing news 2021: Racing Victoria bans jockeys Jamie Kah and Ben Melham for three months after illegal rally

0

Racing Victoria banned four top jockeys following an illegal gathering that left blood and wine stains on the floor.

Four prominent jockeys were barred from entering Racing Victoria for three months following an illegal rally in Mornington.

Jamie Kah, Ben Melham, Ethan Brown and Celine Gaudray have been fined more than $ 5,000 by Victoria Police following a Covid-19 violation south of Melbourne.

Kayo is your ticket to the best local and international sports streaming live and on demand. New to Kayo? Try 14 days for free now>

According to The sun herald, the quartet traveled to a luxury Airbnb vacation home with two other people after the 9 p.m. curfew in greater Melbourne, defying instructions from the state government to stay home.

The daily mail reported that a cleaning lady found what she believed to be bloodstains and traces of wine on the floor and sofa.

Several other workers had to clean up the property on three levels, according to the report.

“Officers were called to the Tallis Drive property following reports of a noise complaint at approximately 11:50 pm,” Victoria Police said in a statement.

“Upon arrival, officers located six people inside, all allegedly outside their 5 km radius and in violation of the curfew.

“All of them received an infraction notice for $ 5,452 for violating the Director of Health’s instructions.”

Victoria Racing subsequently slapped the four jockeys with three-month suspensions.

The ban began on Thursday August 26 and will expire on Thursday November 25, which means they will miss the spring carnival.

“These allegations are more than disappointing – they are indeed mind-boggling,” said Victorian Racing Minister Martin Pakula.

“We all need to do our part to reduce infections so we can open businesses and schools and bring crowds back to events – including the Spring Carnival – and industry attendees should lead by example. To think that some would put all of this at risk instead is just infuriating. “

According to a NewsCorp report, Kah’s ban could cost Melbourne’s first jockey more than $ 300,000 in prize money.

Kah said in a statement Friday afternoon: “I want to apologize for my recent behavior in violation of government rules and the Covid race.

“I am deeply embarrassed and disappointed in myself.

“There is no excuse for what I did and I let myself down, my family and friends, the racing industry and all the Victorians doing the right thing in this lockdown.

“I deserve the sanction imposed by the stewards and I will take the time to reflect on my actions and their impact on so many people.”

Melham had already been banned by Racing Victoria for five months in December 2020 after betting on races and providing misleading information to stewards.

Racing Victoria general manager Giles Thompson approved the penalties imposed on the four jockeys.

“I think the three month race penalty is a very, very important penalty,” Thompson said on Friday.

“Particularly because we are on the eve of Spring Racing Carnival and therefore it will encompass and beyond all the star races of Spring Carnival.

“There is no possibility of getting paid to ride and no possibility of making money for three months during our busiest and most lucrative time of the year, that’s a very big penalty.”

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.