Motor-F1 race directors test positive for COVID ahead of Miami GP
LONDON (Reuters) – Formula One race directors Eduardo Freitas and Niels Wittich have both tested positive for COVID-19, raising questions over who will take charge of the inaugural Miami Grand Prix next week, the officials reported on Wednesday. British media.
A well-placed source confirmed to Reuters that the news, first reported by the Daily Telegraph and Sky Sports television, was correct.
A spokesperson for the ruling FIA said medical information about its staff could not be released “unless it is relevant to the running of an event”.
Sky said it understood both men tested positive after last weekend’s Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix at Italy’s Imola circuit.
Travel to the United States currently requires a negative test taken no later than one day before departure, regardless of vaccination status.
Practices for the May 8 race begin on Friday, May 6.
Portugal’s Freitas and Germany’s Wittich were named in February to alternate replacements for now-deceased Australian Michael Masi following a review of last year’s controversial end-of-season race in Abu Dhabi .
Masi changed safety car procedures late in the race, a move that effectively handed the title to Red Bull’s Max Verstappen.
If no race director is available for the race at Hard Rock Stadium, other options could be British veterans Herbie Blash and Colin Haywood.
(Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Toby Davis)