Ricciardo ‘confident’ Australian Grand Prix will continue after cancellations

Contents: Daniel Ricciardo is convinced that the Australian Grand Prix will take place in April as planned following its cancellations in 2020 and 2021.

In short

Ricciardo confident Australian Grand Prix will go ahead in April

The Australian Grand Prix has not taken place for the past two seasons due to the impact of the coronavirus pandemic. The 2020 race was canceled on the morning of the first practice, while the 2021 race was initially postponed and then scrapped altogether.

After tennis star Novak Djokovic was denied entry to the country for the Australian Open in January due to his refusal to take a Covid shot, in line with Australian government policy, Ricciardo says that he doesn’t expect Formula 1 to have similar problems.

“I think it was hopefully a bit of a unicorn situation,” Ricciardo said. “I am convinced that we will be back in April. I’m excited.

Albert Park has been revamped for F1’s first race since 2019. “There’s a new layout, so I think that’s exciting in itself,” he said. “I’m really excited to go home.

“The new layout should be cool and if it promotes more overtaking and these cars make it easier then we’ll have a very different Melbourne Grand Prix to what we’ve had in previous years. And as long as you’re vaccinated, I guess we’re all ready to go.

Alfa Romeo shakes up the C42 at Fiorano

Alfa Romeo has run its 2022 car, the C42, for the first time at Ferrari’s Fiorano test track in Italy.

The team has confirmed it has completed a shakedown of its new car for the upcoming season at the circuit owned by Ferrari, the team’s power unit suppliers. Valtteri Bottas drove the car, decked out in a special camouflage livery, on a wet track in the morning as new teammate Guanyu Zhou looked on.

Alfa Romeo will only reveal its racing livery for the 2022 season after the first three-day test in Barcelona which begins next Wednesday. The team will instead race in a test livery before unveiling its new race livery on Sunday, February 27.

Marco Andretti will compete in the Indy 500

Marco Andretti will race this year’s Indy 500 with Andretti Autosport, it has been announced, after securing a sponsorship deal with KULR Technology Group.

Andretti, son of Andretti Autosport team owner Michael, has not competed full-time in the IndyCar Series since the 2020 season. Like last year, in which he finished 19th after starting 21st, he will race the Indianapolis 500 in 2022 with the number 98 backed by team Andretti.

If he qualifies for the May 29 race, the Indy 500 will also be Marco Andretti’s 250th race of his IndyCar career.

Announcement | Become a RaceFans supporter and go ad-free

Announcement | Become a RaceFans supporter and go ad-free

Happy Birthday!

Happy birthday to Plutoniumhunter, Haggle and Colin Forsyth!

On this day in motorsport

  • Born this day in 1921: Jean Behra

Comments are closed.