Romain Grosjean is about to make his IndyCar debut on the oval
Romain Grosjean is ready to race on an oval, with plans in place for him to compete in the Bommarito Automotive Group 500.
Grosjean left Formula 1 at the end of the 2020 season, although he was excluded from the last two rounds after a terrible crash at the Bahrain Grand Prix.
The Frenchman is now calling IndyCar home, although his deal with Dale Coyne Racing and Rick Ware Racing did not put him on the entry list for the Indy500 or on any of the Texas Motor Speedway rounds, as he did not. didn’t want to put his family to the test. stress to see him running on an oval track shortly after his crash in Bahrain.
He had already mentioned his fear of ovals, but Grosjean is preparing to tackle the Gateway (World Wide Technology Raceway), with the Bommarito Automotive Group 500 scheduled for August 20-21.
Grosjean took to social media to confirm he was finishing his first simulator session on an oval.
I’m doing my first oval simulator tours now 😉
– Romain Grosjean (@RGrosjean) July 22, 2021
Now a test awaits at the World Wide Technology Raceway on July 27, with Dale Coyne Racing and Rick Ware Racing looking to field three cars, including Grosjean in car # 51 for the Bommarito Automotive Group 500.
“We will be testing with Romain at Gateway on July 27 as we fully intend to race there next month,” team co-owner Dale Coyne told Motorsport.com.
“It will be a good test there because there will be quite a few cars there so we will have a chance for him to race alone and then when he is more confident we can put him in traffic so that ‘he learns what is dirty the air is really everything!
“It is also a good test because it is a day and night test – which takes place from mid-afternoon to 11 o’clock in the evening – so it will also give him a good experience of the evolution of ‘a track, of the different levels of downforce that it has “You will feel in hot and nocturnal conditions.
“It should be a very good experience for a rookie. “
Grosjean already has a pole position and a podium in IndyCar, both obtained at the Indianapolis Grand Prix where he finished P2.
And Coyne has confirmed that there are many teams interested in the 35-year-old, but none more than his own.
“A lot of people have spoken to Romain but nothing is decided from anyone,” Coyne said.
“He’s performed really well this year, so it’s no surprise he’s getting attention, is it? Same as other promising guys we’ve raced in the past. So… you know, you’d expect it.
“But no one is more interested in him than we are. He’s done a great job for us – a great personality, a really nice guy who’s been loving the IndyCar since pretty much the time he arrived.
“Romain’s wife was with us the other day and she said ‘I never felt that with another team. It feels like a family ”. It was good to hear.
“We are not a ‘mom’ n ‘pop’ operation, but there is a feeling that some IndyCar teams – and in particular us – give that make the driver and their family a part of it. It’s not just him who arrives, drives the car and disappears.
“And that feeling works very well with some drivers. Maybe it doesn’t work with others.