Second season of the Spartan Trail World Championship
Spartan continues its trail expansion with the launch of the second season of the Spartan Trail World Championship.
According to Spartan, “The racing series includes nine events on five continents, in exceptional locations and with superior quality standards that will make an unforgettable experience for every trail runner. From perfectly executed events, to a cultural immersion on the countries and cities where the races take place, the runners will be able to taste the pure soul of the places visited from the beginning to the end of their adventure.
The championship comprises two categories holding separate rankings, aiming to reach the widest range of elite riders. The Trail Ultra Championship category hosts events of 50km or more, and the Trail Run Championship hosts races under 49km.
Spartan Trail World Championship 2022-23
- Transgrancanaria, Gran Canaria (Spain), March 3-6, 2022, 126K & 43K, $25,000 purse
- Patagonia Run, San Martín de los Andes (Argentina), April 7-9, 2022, 100 mile & 42K, $25,000 purse
- Brisbane Trail Ultra, Brisbane (Australia), July 8-10, 2022, 100 mile & 30K, $25,000 purse
- Fjällmaraton, Are (Sweden), July 30 – August 6, 2022, 100K & 45K, $25,000 purse
- Skyline Scotland, Kinlochleven, Scotland, 17-18 September 2022, distances TBC, US$25,000 scholarship
- Ultra Pirineu, Bagà (Catalonia, Spain), September 30 – October 2, 2022, 100K & 42K, $25,000 purse
- Borneo Trail Classic, Sarawak (Malaysia), October 15-16, 2022, 100K & 50K, US$25,000 purse
- Golden Gate Trail Classic, San Francisco (USA), November 2022, distances to be confirmed, prize money of US$25,000
- Aconcagua Ultra Trail, Los Penitentes (Argentina), February 2023 TBC distances, US$25,000 scholarship
The purse is a total of US$25,000 per race split across the two championship categories. According to Spartan, this aims to… ‘to value the efforts of those who aim to be as professional as possible in the sport of trail running.’
The second season of the Spartan Trail World Championship race calendar includes trail festivals around the world, and “newer races that should be elevated by the Spartan brand and their World Championship partners.”
With the launch of Season 2, Spartan Trail also unveiled its new website where runners, media and the trail community can stay connected with the brand.